Welcome to Zach's Blog

After seemingly endless prodding, teasing and thinly veiled condescension from friends and family, my wife and I have finally succumbed to peer pressure and have entered the 21st century. That's right, we are now officially "blogging". Besides, what better way to introduce ourselves to this mysterious and novel medium than through the shameless exploitation of our wonderful little boy, Zachary Winston Williams. Since before he was even born Zach has been a constant source of "oohs" and "aahs" which I have piously and painstakingly documented with my camera. Indeed, you- the common citizen of the Internet, will no longer have to miss out on precious moments such as "Baby's first dirty diaper" or "Baby blows milk out his nose all over mom".

During the first months of his life, Zach has had his photograph taken ad nauseum. I have countless photos of myself, Lesley, friends, family and a few complete strangers holding our son in every possible setting imaginable. There are so many photos in fact, that it would be impractical and maybe even a bit cruel to post them all here. So in order to conserve both available memory and the readers sanity, the plan is to pick a 'small' handful of the best pictures and include a link to my flickr website for those with the fortitude to tackle the rest.

On my son's behalf, I would like to extend my sincerest appreciation and gratitude for your interest in his life. I hope all of you will enjoy watching him grow and develop over the next months and years. I know I will.
~Kacy

ArtZ

ArtZ

Monday, April 14, 2008

Mr. Mom

I can't say I'm a soldier for the Cause, but I admit I'm becoming a little irritated by the number of people who infer that I'm just filling in for Momma. We all know the culture dictates that caregivers be female, while the daddies are out hunting and gathering and scratching our asses. Still, is it so odd to see a man at the playground giving his kid's nose a wipedown?

It's also widely assumed that men can't hack it as hands-on parents. The other day I overheard one mom lamenting her daughter's outfit: "Her father dressed her this morning." As if to imply that it's a miracle he didn't diaper the girls' head.

Honestly, this Stay-At-Home-Dad (what Mothers like to call SAHD) buisness ain't so bad at all. Besides, if I did actually have a job to go back to, I'd just be spending a lot of time prying my cheek off a drool-soaked keyboard and watching the clock wondering how much longer until I got to be reunited with my bed (and wife and kid, of course).

Granted, it's not always flowers and sunshine. The other day my wife and I had a fight that hinged on the finer points of mild vs. medium cheddar cheese, and I behaved like a pathetic, self-absorbed jackass. Try as I might to be Super Benevolent Wonder Dad, a little sleep deprivation always exposes my inner thug.

And by the way: I dressed my son this morning. The white cotton onesie was both physically flattering (by accentuating his fair complexion and broad shoulders) and of ideal weight for his on-the-go summer lifestyle. So any mom who thinks I can't take care of my kid is cordially invited to Bite Me.

4 comments:

Nalini Asha Biggs said...

yeah we both seem to fit into that outlyer lifestyle. I was getting really pissed off lately that I didn't get a formal shower or anything for the fact I got into my Ph.D. program (though it will last longer than many people's marriages)but at the same time no one can shut up about my impending wedding, even though I havent set a damm date. Hopefully by the time Zach is our age, we will have made things just that much more realistic for him.

Zachary Winston Williams said...

I would normally agree with you, however I’m guessing that people (myself included) assume that your proclamation of love for Travis will last the rest of your life- a considerably larger commitment than to your super-fast 3yr PhD program. Moreover, I remember when Lesley was accepted into her PhD program, it was more of a feeling of foreboding doom knowing that we were heading into 6 years of misery than a feeling of excitement. And therefore not really something to celebrate. That said, we all threw her a great party when she actually GOT her PhD… I expect we all will do nothing less for you.

Unknown said...

I remember the day my dear, sweet father had the odious task of getting me ready for preschool... It took twice as long for him to do my hair as it would have had my mom done it with him apologizing every time he pulled a hair (whereas mom had a method that she must have learned at a "how to punish your daughter for having unruly hair" seminar). It was an awful braid, but he was my hero. Anyway...good luck and be glad you have a boy!

Unknown said...

Accessories make the outfit