Welcome to Zach's Blog

After seemingly endless prodding, teasing and thinly veiled condescension from friends and family, my wife and I have finally succumbed to peer pressure and have entered the 21st century. That's right, we are now officially "blogging". Besides, what better way to introduce ourselves to this mysterious and novel medium than through the shameless exploitation of our wonderful little boy, Zachary Winston Williams. Since before he was even born Zach has been a constant source of "oohs" and "aahs" which I have piously and painstakingly documented with my camera. Indeed, you- the common citizen of the Internet, will no longer have to miss out on precious moments such as "Baby's first dirty diaper" or "Baby blows milk out his nose all over mom".

During the first months of his life, Zach has had his photograph taken ad nauseum. I have countless photos of myself, Lesley, friends, family and a few complete strangers holding our son in every possible setting imaginable. There are so many photos in fact, that it would be impractical and maybe even a bit cruel to post them all here. So in order to conserve both available memory and the readers sanity, the plan is to pick a 'small' handful of the best pictures and include a link to my flickr website for those with the fortitude to tackle the rest.

On my son's behalf, I would like to extend my sincerest appreciation and gratitude for your interest in his life. I hope all of you will enjoy watching him grow and develop over the next months and years. I know I will.
~Kacy

ArtZ

ArtZ

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The secret symbiosis

An interesting mutualism has developed between me, Lesley, and Zach. As a result, Zach (mistakenly) believes his Parents are pretty damn cool.

For example:
It's Wednesday and Zach thinks he's going to school.
Nope, sorry dude. You're going to Disneyland.

It's Friday and Zach thinks he's going to school.
Nope, sorry dude. You're going to the Zoo.

It's Saturday and Zach doesn't know what day it is so he thinks he's going to school.
Nope, sorry dude. You're going to the aquarium.

It's Wednesday and Zach is actually in school.
He comes home to this.

Zach: "Is it Christmas?"
Nope not yet.

"My Birthday?"
Sorry not today.

"I'm awesome?"
Strike three.

Son, we could bullshit you and say we do these things because we love you. But as usual we're going to give it to you straight:
*whispers* None of this stuff actually has that much to do with you.

Don't get your diapers in a bunch, allow me to explain.

Take this tent-tunnel thing I just bought you today as an example: Before I purchased it, while I was driving home with it and later cursing and breaking my back while putting it together, I was distinctly aware of the possibility and even high probability that you would totally ignore it and just play with the box.

Did that deter me?
No

Why? Because I thought it looked fun to play in*.

I call this the secret symbiosis.

Is it a crime that we are enjoying your childhood as much as you are?Okay, that's probably a bad example. But you still see my point.

Yet, some will say that what we are doing is still spoiling you. Sending the wrong message.

I respectfully disagree. Our message is clear and appropriate:
Son, you are not the center of the Universe.

BUT YOUR PARENTS ARE.

Now if you'll excuse me, You'll be home in a few hours and I've got a puppet show to rehearse.

*Be sure to ask your Grandma Lyndell about the time she gave your Mom a Doll-house for Christmas.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Spot on, as usual. I have many embarassing examples of similar reasoning. I didn't enjoy/suffer the introspection and only now accept that it was/is all about me. Keep doing fun stuff on my behalf. I love your/my childhood/young parenthood. Thanks, Dad

Nalini Asha Biggs said...

hilarious. I love. son, you are not the center of the universe...your parents are.