Welcome to Zach's Blog

After seemingly endless prodding, teasing and thinly veiled condescension from friends and family, my wife and I have finally succumbed to peer pressure and have entered the 21st century. That's right, we are now officially "blogging". Besides, what better way to introduce ourselves to this mysterious and novel medium than through the shameless exploitation of our wonderful little boy, Zachary Winston Williams. Since before he was even born Zach has been a constant source of "oohs" and "aahs" which I have piously and painstakingly documented with my camera. Indeed, you- the common citizen of the Internet, will no longer have to miss out on precious moments such as "Baby's first dirty diaper" or "Baby blows milk out his nose all over mom".

During the first months of his life, Zach has had his photograph taken ad nauseum. I have countless photos of myself, Lesley, friends, family and a few complete strangers holding our son in every possible setting imaginable. There are so many photos in fact, that it would be impractical and maybe even a bit cruel to post them all here. So in order to conserve both available memory and the readers sanity, the plan is to pick a 'small' handful of the best pictures and include a link to my flickr website for those with the fortitude to tackle the rest.

On my son's behalf, I would like to extend my sincerest appreciation and gratitude for your interest in his life. I hope all of you will enjoy watching him grow and develop over the next months and years. I know I will.
~Kacy

ArtZ

ArtZ

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Slow

When I was in the 5th grade I couldn't read. Well okay, that's not entirely true. If I was given a harangue or story to read, I could effortlessly oblige without making any mistakes. But when asked what a passage was about, I would just stare blankly as if I hadn't comprehended a single word.

Because I hadn't.

I specifically remember one time in Ms. Dillans' 5th grade class. I was asked to read a paragraph regarding two men stranded on a raft in the middle of an ocean arguing over whose turn it was to do the fishing. While my mouth had been dutifully forming the sounds of the words translated from images of letters in my brain, my mind was busy contemplating why they would eat a high protein meal when they had no water (protein, of course, requires a lot of water to metabolize and would cause further dehydration) and how they might use their rubber jackets at night as funnels to collect condensation from the air for drinking. Before I knew it, the passage was over and the Ms. Dillan was asking me what it was about. I responded by mumbling something about cellular osmosis and diffusion gradients.

Even in the 80's it wasn't politically correct to use the words "idiot" or "stupid" or "retarded", not even if those words were being used to describe yourself. Today they use abbreviations like ADHD, LD, AS and CAPD. But back in the 80's, the PC term everyone used was simply "slow".

I was slow. I knew it, my teachers knew it, my friends knew it.

Even my mother often has to admit that I was a slow child. What else can you say about a 9 year old boy who couldn't remember his right hand from his left without thinking about the way a dog turns around before lying down, the direction of whirlpools and whirlwinds, the side a cow is milked from and a horse is mounted from, the direction of a twist of oak and sycamore leaves, the maze patterns of rock moss and of tree moss, the cleavage of limestone, the direction of a hawk's wheeling, of a shrike's hunting, and of a snake's coiling, the lay of cedar fronds and of balsam fronds, the twist of a hole dug by a skunk and by a badger (remembering pungently that skunks sometimes use old badger holes)? A normal kid would just remember his right from his left without all that nonsense.

I have never out-grown this affliction, but I can proudly say that I did eventually teach myself how to read.

Anyway this rambling and unorganized post, while symbolic in its irony, does indeed have a point.

While it's not set in stone, Lesley and I have tentatively come to the decision to home-school Zachary from the age of 5 until he is 10. This means that I would be in charge of delivering my son the bulk of the most influential developmental period of his life: his elementary education.

ME: the guy who, had he been born 50 years earlier, would have probably never finished 8th grade.

Yes, I'm aware of the shortcomings of home schooling. Yes, I'm aware of the social and academic pitfalls. I've listened to the arguments and I've done my own research confirming the validity of those arguments.

Why then, can't I stop being ecstatic at the notion of teaching my son?

I don't know ... but then again I've always been a little slow.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I can, upon the benefit of reflection, declare without reservation that slow never applied to you; not in any way. You have and remain to be a little.....contemplative. Love, Dad

DebbieBrowning said...

Kacy, homeschooling is a very challenging thing to do. I have friends who had done this and yes it is challenging, but also very rewarding. A suggestion is to make sure you are involved with a home school network of somesort so Zachary has contact with others and they also do onsite testing for him. They can be very supportive. As far as social skills, he could get involved with sports, scouts or whatever to have interaction with children his own age plus be under supervision of other adults other than family. This is also very important for him. So good luck and remember, he does need to learn to read at 3 years old or have computer skills to be a successful adult. I come from a preschool background, and the philosophy of the school was children learn through play. I know it is very old idea, but a good one. I remember having parents come to the center with requests that their 3 year old be taught to read. I informed them we don't teach 3 year olds to read, BUT, if the child showed an interest in letters, etc. they would be encouraged. The curriculum even for 3 year olds did have reading readiness, but only in a very fun and non expectant way. I let the parents know this and said we believe social skills are more important at that age than reading, becasue if a child can't get along with others or listen to another adult they would have a hard time being successful in school. So another suggestion, before yous start home school, he could go to a morning preschool that parents volunteer at until he is ready for kindergarten. Ok enough of my rambling. Good luck with whatever you do, and know what ever you do will be great. You are a wonderful dad and Leslie is a super mom. Love A. Debbie

kacywilliams said...

Thanks for your thoughts Debbie. I agree with everything you said. Rest assured, Lesley and I have taken into consideration all of those points. After all, it's about doing whats best for Zachary- As such, we have been as meticulous and thorough in our research as only over-concerned parents can be.

IF (notice the caps) we go through with this, we have decided to use a program (charter school) we are familiar with in which he would be at a school for interacting with other students his own age 3 times a week (we have friends who participate in this and are very very happy with the results).

We intend to have him involved in any sports he shows an interest in and he has already been attending preschool 3 days a week since he was one. This would continue until he is ready for kindergarten.

We are under no false pretenses that this would be easy, but as I mentioned before, this is about what is best for Zachary and his long term development (mental AND social)

As a loving stay at home dad with time and inclination, overlooking this as an option simply because it would be hard would be unforgivably selfish. Believe me, if it turns out that this course is NOT the best decision for Zachary, then we will not hesitate enroll him in a local public or private school.